Tuesday, June 01, 2010

25... old or young?

      The other day I was reading another blog where the writer was kind of giving a quick timeline of her relationship.  She was married at 23 and they had their child at 25.   She went on to say that she and her husband were unlike the other couples around them.  While the other couples were in relationships, building their careers... she and her husband were settling down into their family life.  She said she knew they had married young and had their child young.  Wait... young?? We're the same age!

In my mind lately, Chris and I are behind.  Why? Because there are so many couples around us that have kids, almost all of the women at my job have two kids and they are my age!  I have been feeling like I wasted two extra years of my life by changing my major, and felt as though I set myself back time wise.   But then after seeing this blog I started thinking... what happened to the Megan from a few years ago? The one that wanted to go out, live life with Chris, and be married for a few years before settling down for kids?   I guess outside influences actually influenced my thinking.   Looking at facebook I checked out where my friends from Kansas were at in their lives.  They are all graduating college, in long term relationships, but not married and child free at this time.  The friends from Texas you actually have to search pretty hard to find someone without a child.  I was raised like my Kansas friends (with upper 20's being the childbearing age) but surrounded by the influences here in Texas (Early 20's are your childbearing age)

After reading that blog a few other things struck a cord in me.  In Sex and the City 2 there is a scene with Charlotte  and Miranda where they are talking about motherhood and how hard it is... they even toast to the moms out there that do not have full time help.  In one scene you see Charlotte putting herself in a food pantry for a moment just to get a moment away so that she can cry.

Everything made me just think... you know... as much as I love kids,  I don't want to have kids for a couple of years.  We're still getting on our feet, I start my first teaching job this fall where I'll get an actual teachers salary as opposed to the extremely low amount that I was making this past school year.  We also want to get our savings up so that we can get a nice house and enough so that the down payment will not wipe out our savings.  So things will take time, and I know I'll have to answer more questions about why we are waiting.... endure more comments about how they do not wanting to risk birth defects by waiting... as if the upper 20's are dangerous.  It is ridiculous what people say but I'll just have to power through and not let the pressure cause me to grow up faster than we are planning.

No more outside pressure.... luckily both sets of parents are not pressuring us... they are all part of team wait.

No comments: