Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A moment too late...


   I am starting to notice a trend within the education field.  Schools seem to either wait till the very last moment to get back to you or get back to you right away.   Recently I have accepted a job at a great private school that is expanding.  They contacted me quickly for the first interview, and after that everything seemed to move in slow motion.  I even ended up losing hope at getting the job, but in the end it patience paid off because they said they knew they wanted me after they met me.  At this time though.. I'm starting to noticed that a lot of schools slack when it comes to contacting potential employees.

For example, I submitted my resume to a school district and didn't hear anything for quite awhile so I just counted them out in my mind.  Then one Friday around 4 the school called me to see if I could come in for an interview that following Monday morning.  Obviously I couldn't because I couldn't clear the time off with my supervisor given that work was already over and it was a F.riday, and then the uncertainty of whether or not I could find a sub.   I politely told them that I couldn't come in and interview due to the short notice and lack of subsitute, but would there be any other dates available for the interview?  I had clearly I annoyed them with this question, despite my cover letter and resume clearly stating that I was currently employed at this time.  Did I end up interviewing with them? No, but that was my choice because I did some research on the school and their graduation rate was only 54%... which means something is clearly not right with them.

Then a few weeks ago a principal randomly asked me about working this summer because the program enrollment doubled in two days and they needed extra teachers.  I said that I would love to and he said he would look up my information and get back to me.  Well he didn't so I decided that obviously I wasn't picked because there is a rule that you cannot teach summer school unless you were already contracted and blah blah blah.  Well I have a slightly different contact so, bummer but that's okay so after two weeks of not hearing I decided to go ahead and plan my summer. Surprise... I got a call today about starting on Tuesday.  The catch however is that there is a mandatory day long meeting on Friday and Monday.  Oh :(  I already booked my tickets to go to my aunts wedding this coming weekend on an extended "mini" vacation for Chris and I.   To change the tickets would cost more than double of what we paid for them so it is out of the question. So I cannot work this summer as a teacher in Spring Branch.  Had I heard anything sooner than I would have booked my tickets differently so that I could attend both meetings.  Unfortunately I didn't hear from them and therefore that opportunity is gone.  I'm a bit upset about this because I would have loved to teach for them this summer, but nobody contacted me until 3 days before this whole thing starts.

I hate this whole short notice thing, it really is a bummer and I'm pretty disappointed because this most recent opportunity is something that I would LOVE to do and unfortunately I will not have the chance to.   I need some chocolate now :(

No comments: