Let's backtrack a moment. I arrived at work today seeing a woman trying to get into her vehicle. It turns out that while she was getting out of the car, she accidentally hit the lock by the door handle of her Focus. Seriously it's right there, it is not hard to make that kind of accident, I've done it plenty of times. Anyways so her keys are in the car, along with her baby that is happily sitting in her car seat drinking her bottle without a care in the world. A few people are there trying to help her out, but everyone is staying calm. To make a long story short, within 3 minutes the doors were unlocked and everything was fine. Not to mention that this happened in the morning before it was even remotely warm outside, so it was a low stress situation.
In the meantime my co-worker is saying "How can anyone do that? I don't understand how a mom could make that mistake." so I replied with "she probably just accidentally hit the lock on her door while opening it, its easy to do on that type of car." to which she replies "No, you don't understand, when you have kids your mind is on those kids 24 hours a day, a mistake like that shouldn't happen, I've never made that mistake" To which I replied "She probably just had her mind on getting the kid into the daycare and either didn't realize she dropped the keys while getting the kids bag or didn't notice that she hit the lock button." to which my coworker said the dreaded line... "No! you don't get it...oh thats right you don't have kids... you wont understand until you have kids."
I'm sorry... I guess I missed the memo that says once you have kids you also get a super human mind so that you'll never make mistakes again.


2 comments:
Hey there...first of all I LOVE the song that's bopping along to your blog.
Second as a Mom of two I would nevver evver speak to someone like that! If you do't mind me saying, your co-worker sounds more then a wee bit ummm condesending? Ohh one dayshe will make a big Mommy mistake and feel like a fool. I hope she didn't give that poor women a hard time, I think you are exactly right. I mean seriously, like she meant to lkock her babe in the car?
So glad you stopped by my blog and followed! Off to be your newest fan:)
Hey, Girlie! I can't believe that I found you on blogger (I actually located you because of Linda's blog)! But, one I have a child and my mind is on my child 24/7, but I have done that once myself. The weather was really nice, he was only a few months old and slept through the whole episode.
And, two, your co-worker does sound pretty condescending. I have known plenty of women that have known more about kids than myself and don't have any of their own. And, a mistake is just that, a mistake. It happens to the best (and worst) of us.
Maybe one day when you're back over this way we can catch up!
Amanda
Post a Comment