Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Why Being Childfree is Awesome

1. Sleep... I can sleep in on weekends, take naps after work, go to bed early, or stay up late. I can pretty much sleep whenever I want.

2. Money... we're doing pretty well financially, but I'd still like to put back more before we have children. Yes I get the "If you wait until you can afford kids, you'll never have them" line but really I think that line is for those that didn't plan very well financially. I may never be rich, but we can prepare ourselves to the best of our ability so that we can afford what our children will at least need without expecting to relying on others.

3. Freedom... this kind of goes along with sleep. I love that currently we have the freedom to do what we want to do without worrying about a little one. If I want to drive up and see my family I can, if we want to go to the movies suddenly then we can. If we decide tomorrow that we want to plan a vacation and just go... we can once we save up.

4. My body... having a kid is a great thing, but it can sure do a number to your body. Yes your body does recover faster typically the younger you are... but if Heidi Klum can come back 5 weeks after having a baby and model for Victorias Secret at her age then there is clearly no rush for me to have kids now just so I can hopefully look good longer.

5. I'm a teacher so I can love on all of the kids I want for 8-12 hours a day and then send them home :) I don't have to pay for their food, medical bills, schooling, or any of that. I just make sure they are learning, having fun, and eat a meal and two snacks. Yes I do buy stuff for them, but that just makes me the cool teacher because I give them neat little things each week like glow bracelets, or funky new pencils.

6. Cleaning... I hate cleaning as it is, I know I have to do it and it does get done but I'd rather not add another human to this household yet and add to the amount of cleaning we do.

* This is not a list to knock moms... but a list to remind me why it is great to not have kids at this time when so many others are pressuring us.



No comments: