Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Snafu in Operation Get Fit...



We are now into Operation Get Healthy at the moment.  I contracted my first major illness from my precious four year olds, Strep Throat.  Okay so maybe it isn't technically considered major, but wow I can't imagine having this as a kid as uncomfortable as it is.  Oddly enough I contracted it during Germ Week.  This was a special week spent teaching 1 skill to keep healthy each day.  The last day I was there we talked about coughing and sneezing carefully.  How can you sneeze carefully? By sneezing into your elbow of course, unless you already have that tissue ready.  Well I lost count of the amount of kids that started coughing and sneezing on me.  The real mystery now is which kid was carrying the Streptococcal bacteria.  Apparently you can carry it but not have the symptoms and still pass it on.   I was sent home at noon on Monday for a low grade fever and being light headed, but I thought it was from another bug the night before.  Nope, but that bug I had the night before helped lower my immune system enough for the Strep to kick in rather than fight it from the start.   So I've been off work since mid-Monday and I feel horrible about that.  Luckily my teacher and co-workers are extremely supportive.  We had no clue that it was strep until today when I was able to get into a doctor who confirmed it and also banned me from work for the rest of the week.   I should be happy for the break right?  I would be except for the fact that I hate being home alone most of the day and not being there for my kids.  Luckily I have an amazing sub that was actually the long term sub for the class before I was hired so she knows the routine and really is a huge help to the other teacher in the classroom.  While it is not exactly healthy... I have already seen a little bit of weight loss since I've barely had any food since Sunday night due to lack of appetite which stems from the amount of effort and pain involved in swallowing anything other than icecream or apple sauce.  This is clearly not the way I planned it.  :(


On a really far off side note... Thank you to the lotto commission that allowed a second major million dollar lottery into Texas.  Hopefully the new Powerball lotto will bring in as much as they are saying for the Texas school fund.

No comments: