
Well today we had a sub lead teacher in our classroom. What does that mean? Usually it means that I am lead teaching all day and the sub is helping out in other ways. However the best sub came in today and while I still directed most of the day, she was helpful with getting projects completed and keeping the kids distracted with a story time while I ran around turning in the lunch count and attendance. However, the sub had never worked in a public school setting and has only worked with high school kids so my kids really tried to turn on the "charm" 4 year old style. It worked for the most part with her because "they are so little! they are so cute!" which is true, but they are manipulative little kids if you don't watch out for yourself. We had more "dramatic" tears than any other day that I've been there. It was silly. If a child didn't get their way... they cried... HARD. However I showed her that if we just gave them a minute to cry and said something along the lines of "I'm sorry, we have to take turns and it is not your turn right now" the tears would stop and the evil little glare would appear. It was as they they couldn't believe that we didn't fall for it. The teacher inside of me was proud for that brief moment. I've learned their little tricks so that I cannot be manipulated by a 4 year old and passed on the info to a fellow teacher. Watch out kiddos... Mrs. White is in the game. We'll have a sub with us for probably the rest of the week but luckily it will be the same substitute all week.
I have my ESL certification exam come up in two weeks so I'm starting to pick up on reading the study guide more. I'm not too nervous because I've been lucky to be consistently in an ESL classroom since I started student teaching and now with this job. Each teacher that I've been with has been amazing at sharing information in regards to ESL students and how to help with their learning. I just need to work on the legal side of it all. All of the studying reminds me of college, but luckily there is just one exam instead of five at the same time... wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment