Monday, November 08, 2010

Money isn't the most important thing...

It is so hard for me to remember that sometimes. Especially when I am a worry wart about such things. On a good note I don't have to worry so much anymore because my husband keeps track of our finances, though I'm not completely out of the loop. Financially we have an order, we pay our bills, then we pay our savings account a set amount, then we pay ourselves. So I know where we stand each month. Plus just incase there is an emergency my husband also has a guide set up that list what site to go to, the account information, and typical cost set up... thank goodness. We set up our finances this way back when I was temporarily unemployed during my student teaching stint. I would freak out over paying the bills because for the first time in awhile I wasn't bringing in an income. That was a hard thing to overcome.

Now I've moved up from minimum wage and I have an actual salary now. In one sense things are great because I have a good job, and small class, and I'm making friends finally. Hopefully friends that will last awhile. Granted we've only hung out once, but it was a successful hangout so I'm hoping there are more in the future. So far I consider two of the girls good friends, but I think one will be leaving in May so I'm not sure how long that'll last. This school seems to have a high turnover rate... especially with certified teachers. It is pretty clear that the turnover rate is due to the pay. We work 12 months and make in the mid 30's before taxes if you are salary, and 9-12 hr if you're hourly from what I've heard.

Yet I still get down about my job sometimes. A year round pre-k teacher in a public school makes $53,000.... WAY more than what I'm making. That alone makes me want to move to a public school. Do you know what we could do with that extra money a year? I can tell you now it sure would make getting a house easier.

But then my husband reminds me... it is not all about the money. I'm blessed right now to be able to work at this job because despite how annoyed I may get sometimes, it really is a good job. I have a cap of 14 for my class size due to my classroom size, they allowed for me to pick the curriculum for writing, and I have great parental support. So okay some things do bite, like that I spend so much money on my classroom myself, that we don't have a curriculum right now, and that the kids change classrooms more than I touchup the hair color on my roots. Hopefully that'll change though. I just have to remember, it is not about pay... don't judge it based on the pay.


That really is hard to do though...



No comments: