I was excited about my job because I thought it meant that I would make some pretty good friends and everything would be great. Right?.... well maybe not. I thought I was making one really good friend/coworker. We decided to plan together so that we could be more effective as teachers and so that she could learn from me because she liked the style that I wrote my lesson plans in and I kept getting praises at work and in her own words she felt like she needed to grow as a teacher.
After being stood up for planning time and time again and again I am now fed up. Week after week I've waited around for her so that we can plan because she kept telling me she wanted to plan with me because she needs help. This Sunday she was a no-show and last sunday I waited around all afternoon for her to show up so that we could plan but instead of showing up she called over and over again with excuse after excuse about why she wasn't there yet. Now I'm one of those people that give others chance after chance yet thankfully I'm getting better at learning this faster. So I decided I'd just not count on her anymore.
Until today... I had to teach both classes today. Normally that isn't so bad but the change threw off my kids and her kids to the point that barely anything productive occurred. Not to mention that I had a new student added that needed my attention to feel safe and secure in her new school. Had the other classroom had a lesson plan in place then the classes wouldn't have had to join together, but there wasn't one ready and so the students came into my room. It not only sucked for me, but it sucked for my assistant because she is pregnant and at that critical stage where too much stress can cause a miscarriage. She was so stressed out herself that she had to step out of the classroom which I am 100% with but it stressed me out more to think that things were so crazy that we were both driven nuts and fed up. My coworker not only let me down by not showing up on Sunday to plan meaning her own lesson plans were not ready and in place for her class but also let me down today by not coming into work and not giving me a heads up until after I had some of her kids. As much as I don't want to depend on my coworker, to an extent I have to. At the same time I'm not going to put any eggs in that basket so that when the basket breaks I won't lose anything.
I've been helped by those close to me to realize that I'm into this as a career, coworker is not. I'll be the bigger person and allow her to plan with me if she wants but I won't go out of my way to make it convenient to her schedule anymore. She'll have to work around my schedule.
It also sucks that I know that this is not a friendship that will grow based upon what has already occurred.
Thankfully I was able to talk to my mom after work today and she let me talk about what was going on and even though it was a bad day talking to mom made me feel better. She said that I sound optimistic again :) So tomorrow is another day.... :)
I'll post the new photos of my room soon, I'm having trouble getting them to upload
No comments:
Post a Comment