
I've stated several times in the past that I'm a planner. I planned my whole college career out each semester, I planned my wedding over a two year time span, and I plan everytime we rearrange our house to figure out what arrangement I'd like first. Sure it drives my husband crazy at times but it has saved us in so many situations that he doesn't complain. :) Clearly this skill comes in handy being a teacher as well. Now imagine how surprised I was when I was questioned by a friend (of 15 years) about "over-planning" for a baby because I mentioned that our preconception doctors appointment is coming up. Haha... hello? Do you remember me? Fear of judgement set aside... I want to be as knowledgeable as I can be because it eases my over-worrying mind.
With that being said here is my first book review! I bought the book from Amazon for my kindle/ipad. First off I questioned why the kindle version is more expensive than the actual book, but this book has click-able links inside that lead to a website where you can download forms for planning along with links to jump to diagrams and other chapters. That won me over quickly.
This book hits most of the key topics that I was left wondering about after reading a few pregnancy books. While other books merely devote one chapter to preconception, this book is loaded with everything I could have ever wondered about. It really is an over-planners dream guide. This book is geared for 90 days of planning, which is three months. That is how long doctors typically suggest you to be off your birth control for before officially trying even though some studies suggest otherwise. The authors accept that some people are on a faster pace and there are little picture guides to help guide you through if you're ready to hit the ground running or if you have the time to take three months to plan.
Topics Addressed: Readiness emotionally and financially, lifestyle habits that may need adjusting, home and work environments, preconception visits, past health issues that could cause issues, ancestry and genetics, conception friendly medications and herbs, what your SO can do to prepare, vitamins and minerals, using MyPyramid.gov (now myplate), diet tailoring, body weight from both sides of the issue, getting in shape, keeping the romance while ttc, and infertility.
I couldn't find an issue that I didn't question to be honest. This book is honest and will tell you that studies regarding certain issues have said one thing, but that other studies have showed another side without really confusing the issue at hand. The authors wrote this book in a way that makes it sound like a good friend or very honest and respected doctor is talking to you without judgement for issues that you may be facing. Above all of their information they do frequently mention that your doctor will know what is right for you in certain situations and that their book is now one to tell you that you have to do this or that.
I would without a doubt recommend this book to any couples that are thinking about TTC and would like to look at what they can do to try and help the process and their future baby as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment